Re: Techie First or Writer? -Reply

Subject: Re: Techie First or Writer? -Reply
From: David Jones <dvjones -at- KSBE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 10:18:00 +0000

I suggest that we as Tech Comm people need to spend time and take
opportunities to educate our coworkers and managers about what Tech
Comm really is, its value to them and the business as a whole, and
how they can work with us to make everything go more smoothly.

I know, education is a slow process, and sometimes it doesn't get
anywhere until key "Dinosaur Brains" retire, but it has more lasting
results.

JFOA.

On 10 Oct 96 at 14:59, Melissa Lowery wrote:
> Soapbox mode <on>
> It seems to me that many employers hiring technical writers have little or
> no understanding of "how" we do what we do. They seem to think that
> technical writing necessarily involves a particular application tool or set of
> tools. They seem to miss the distinction between a word processor and
> someone who processes words.

David Jones, Technical Writer
dvjones -at- ksbe -dot- edu

DISCLAIMER:
The views described herein are the views of the author, and
do not represent the views or opinions of Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate, nor is there any approval or authorization of
this material, express or implied, by the Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate. If you suspect that any of the material in
this message or attachments thereto is in violation of a
copyright, please notify the Webmaster immediately by e-mail
at "Webmaster -at- ksbe -dot- edu".

Thought for the day:
A penny saved is ridiculous.