Re[2]: Radio Button

Subject: Re[2]: Radio Button
From: Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 15:10:23 GMT

Tom Alton comments:

And yep, it's confusing. Most people today can't remember the
days of pushbutton radios.
<<
Are you sure? I can't remember the last car radio that
<I>wasn't</I> tuned by push buttons.

OK, the old mechanical buttons have been consigned to the
'expensive and unnecessary' skip, but the functionality remains:
You select one button from a range of mutually-exclusive
options.

I think the analogy is an excellent one, but I don't remember
ever having to actually describe a radio button as such, except
in a 'what is on a typical screen' sort of section.

Just describing which button to choose from the group seems to
suffice, for example "select the coffee button and click Vend".
To describe a group of buttons, I'd say something like "In the
Options group, deselect the 'no cup' checkbox unless the
beverage is too awful to drink"

Iain