Call for Entries: STC Intermountain Chapter Competitions

Subject: Call for Entries: STC Intermountain Chapter Competitions
From: Marj Hermansen <MARJ_HERMANSEN -at- NOVELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 17:08:57 -0600

The Competitions: Publications, Art, & Online

This year's competition theme echos our Region 7 Conference theme:
"Expanding Horizons: Pioneering Technical Communication in the 21st
Century." As technical communicators in the '90s, we are the pioneers
who will blaze the trail through the rapidly advancing technologies of
print, visual, and online communications.

By submitting your work, you can:

o Receive local and national recognition
o Show off your ability to produce high-quality technical materials
o Receive written evaluations of your work
o Qualify your entries for STC's International Competitions

Those who participate in the competitions demonstrate their commitment
to superior communication.

Awards and Recognition

Four levels of recognition may be awarded in each category:

o Distinguished Technical Communication
o Award of Excellence
o Award of Merit
o Award of Achievement

Whether you win an award or not, you will receive an acknowledgement
from the chapter and the judges' evaluations of your entries.

All entries will be placed on display at our Annual Awards Banquet in
April, 1997. This is your chance to mingle with other pioneers and view
the winners. The 2nd Annual "High Society Awards" Ceremony will be
held in April--watch for full details in January!

Eligibility and Fees

Works about technical subjects produced after September 1, 1995 are
eligible for entry in any of the competitions. The rules specify several
other requirements for entries.

Entry fees vary, depending on the number of contributors; entry fees
range from $25 to $50. A special rate is available for student projects.

Competition Categories

Publications:
Promotional Brochures
Informational Brochures
Quick Reference Guides
Software User Guides
Software Reference Guides
Software Combination User & Reference Guides
Hardware/Software Combination Guides
Hardware Installation, Reference, & Repair Guides
Organizational Manuals
Training Materials
Annual Reports
Magazines
Newsletters
Scholarly Professional Articles
Trade/News Articles
Technical Reports
Books

Art Competition:
Mechanical Line Art
Mechanical Tone Art
Interpretative Line Art
Interpretative Tone Art
Photographs
Manual Design
Annual Report Design
Magazine Design
Promotional Brochure Design
Informational Brochure Design
Marketing Communications Design
Cover Design
Poster Design
Packaging Design

Online Communication:
Help
Demo/Presentation/Kiosk
Tutorials/Training
Guide/Reference/Book

Entry Forms and Rules

Request your entry form and rules now! Use one of the following
methods to send us your name and postal address:

o E-mail your request to the manager of the competition you're
entering to:

Pubs: Jen Wahlquist at wahlquje -at- uvsc -dot- edu
Online: Elizabeth Slaughter at elizas -at- corel -dot- com
Art: Marj Hermansen at marj_hermansen -at- novell -dot- com

o Call any of the competition managers at:

Pubs: Jen Wahlquist at (801) 222-8757
Online: Elizabeth Slaughter at (801) 765-4010 ext. 7259
Art: Marj Hermansen at (801) 861-3267

o Fax your request to:

Pubs: Jen Wahlquist at (801) 224-6405
Online: Elizabeth Slaughter at (801) 765-4105
Art: Marj Hermansen at (801) 861-3002

The entry deadline is Friday, November 15, 1996. Please do your best to
get your entries to your competition manager by that date.

Thanks. We, as competition managers, look forward to your submissions.

Marj Hermansen, Art Competition Coordinator
Immediate Past President & Competitions Coordinator
1479 South 135 West
Orem, UT 84058

Jen Wahlquist, Publications Competition Coordinator
English Dept. FAS #706
Utah Valley State College
800 West 1200 South
Orem, UT 84058

Elizabeth Slaughter, Online Competition Coordinator
Corel Corporation
467 E. Timpanogos Pkwy. MS G232
Orem, UT 84057