Re: Documentation Plan

Subject: Re: Documentation Plan
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 12:06:18 -0700

At 12:34 PM 10/16/96 -0400, Misti Tucker wrote:
>I'm embarking on a 112 hour documentation project that entails a
>creature >h>h>h document type I've never had to produce before: a
>documentation plan.

Anne and Kris have already provided some excellent suggestions for
what to include in a doc plan. There are only a couple of things
I'd add.

Include online help or online doc requirements in the plan -- if
you're going to do them, say so and plan them just like paper docs.
If you aren't going to do them, say so and say why.

Include any other training materials you think the user may need --
quick reference cards, a/v screen captures, online tutorials,
paper-based tutorials, and so on.

Definitely include detailed outlines for all pieces of the doc set.

Definitely include review procedures, decision-making procedures,
and the like.

Once you get used to producing doc plans, you'll wonder how you
ever completed a project without one!

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com
-- The _Guide_ is definitive.