Documentation Plan

Subject: Documentation Plan
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 15:57:41 +0800

Misti -

> I'm embarking on a 112 hour documentation project that entails a
> creature >h>h>h document type I've never had to produce before: a
> documentation plan.

I'm betting $20 you fall asleep before the 100 hours are up, but. . .

> I have some ideas, but in the interest of doing my best, if you could
> share some of your thoughts on what belongs in a document plan, I'd
> appreciate it. Thanks.

'Managing Your Documentation Project' by JoAnn Hackos has a very useful
Info Plan template. There's also a chapter that describes when to use
each heading and what to put in it.

Someone warned you not to include resource and time estimates in the
Info Plan. In JoAnn's scheme this goes into a separate Project Plan.
The Info Plan is the 'what and how'; the Project Plan is the 'who, when
and how much'.

I recommend 'MYDP'. I'm only up to about page 220, but it's already well
worth the cost.

Misti, if you want I can mail you one of my Info Plans as a sample.

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield (slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au) Voice: +61 9 328 8288
Functional Software Pty Ltd Fax: +61 9 328 8616