Re: Ageism discussion

Subject: Re: Ageism discussion
From: Susan Gallagher <susan -at- LIVINGSTON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 17:05:54 -0700

>At 03:20 PM 10/18/96 -0800, Tony G. Rocco wrote:
>>I would like to see a discussion on the issue of ageism as it affects, or
>>does not affect, technical communicators. I turn 41 next month, and I have
>>been advised to modify my resume so that my age is not obvious in the
>>expectation that my age is a count against me.

With age comes experience and wisdom. As a tech pubs manager, my thinking
is that older writers have simply had more time to gather a variety of
experiences -- this is certainly a positive thing. An older writer may have
been a carpenter, photographer, zoologist.......bringing a wide range of
abilities to the table.

Zest for job/life, which seems most appealing in employees, is independent
of age.

--
Susan Gallagher Manager, Technical Publications
susan -at- livingston -dot- com Livingston Enterprises Inc.