How to treat doc errata?

Subject: How to treat doc errata?
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:32:51 +0600

The inevitable has happened.... a document we sent to the printer
needs a change on one page, thanks to a last-minute switch by
engineering (grrr).

We will fix the error for future printing, but for **the copies we just
got back from the printer yesterday** (said through clenched teeth),
what is the best approach? I am considering:

a) doing nothing. It's fairly minor and most users could figure it
out. But on the other hand, they might think we have not figured it
out yet either.

b) inserting a loose page calling attention to the error and giving
the correct information. These manuals are wire bound and we can't
fix them.

c) adding a little blurb in the readme file. No one reads these
anyway......do they?

I hope this is on-topic....fingers crossed, eyes closed....I've never
seen it discussed before, but it does affect most technical writers.

Thanks.

Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com
AnswerSoft, Inc.