Re: How to treat doc errata?

Subject: Re: How to treat doc errata?
From: David Jones <dvjones -at- KSBE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 09:48:46 +0000

This connects to a technical writing issue I'm working out over here.
Not just errata sheets, but added/updated pages.

I do large reference manuals for in-house systems. These are kept in
three-ring binders, so physically adding/removing pages isn't a
barrier. But I'm still trying to work out the best way to:

1. Indicate that an existing page has been changed, and

2. Fit added pages into the page numbering scheme without disrupting
the numbering of unchanged pages that follow the added pages.

Of course, this leaves untouched the entire problem of getting the
people who have copies of the documents to actually *insert* the
updated/added pages ... <G> (Note to Grammarianists: the split
infinitive was fully intentional!)

If anyone wants to get into gory detail about how he or she does it
efficiently with a particular application, be aware that I use
WordPerfect 6 for Windows and PageMaker 6, and *please email me
privately* so we won't bother the Wordophiles and FrameMaker fans
with any *off topic* <G> discussions ...

David Jones, Technical Writer
dvjones -at- ksbe -dot- edu

Today is the product of decisions we have made,
or let others make for us.

DISCLAIMER:
The views described herein are the views of the author, and
do not represent the views or opinions of Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate, nor is there any approval or authorization of
this material, express or implied, by the Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate. If you suspect that any of the material in
this message or attachments thereto is in violation of a
copyright, please notify the Webmaster immediately by e-mail
at "Webmaster -at- ksbe -dot- edu".