no subject (file transmission)

Subject: no subject (file transmission)
From: Edward Savitz <sg94cshj -at- DUNX1 -dot- OCS -dot- DREXEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 22:43:12 -0400

Thanks to those who replied to my posting about Java and NetMeeting for
educational applications.

I found an interesting "demoware package" (the sites I found them on have a
version which expires 30 days after use, then you have to download it
re-install) called Java Workshop. There are several sites but
check with a net search engine for valid ones. I've seen 2 "java page"
sites disappear literally days after they appeared.

The JW interface is very graphically powerful and from the little exploring
I've done with it, its very intuitive.

The one thing it does not teach you is an esthetic or guidelines for
approprate design element inclusion for Web pages, instructional links, etc.

There are other sites that provide beaucoups samples but, alas, they fall
into the games and gadgets category of Java animation.

CGIs are the next step for me - writing common gateway interfaces for forms
designed for web pages. Anyone out there using them extensively or
creating your own? Let's interface.

Ed