More questions about CGI and imagemaps

Subject: More questions about CGI and imagemaps
From: Michael John Little <hypercom -at- C031 -dot- AONE -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 04:20:43 +1100

Hello,
I am writing a training course on the web, and there are some things you
help clear up for me. Plus I am interested in setting up an image map in my
web page, and possibly using CGI/PERL scripts. What I would like to know
is:
1. How do you implement server side imagemaps ? Do you use the CERN, or
NSCA format?
2. Do you use the Imagemap program, and if you do, do you have to hardcode
the location of the imagemap.conf file into the source code and recompile
it?
3. How do CGI/PERL scripts work on the web server? I understand they are
interpreted. Does that mean you need a special program to interpret the
scripts? If so, where can I get a copy, because I am using MS FrontPage to
do my web page development at home, and I need to find an interpreter to
run the CGI/PERL scripts? I am running Windows 95.
4. When I get CGI support, does that mean the ISP sets up a special
directory under my web page address for CGI support? Would I need to
modify the imagemap program source, recompile it, and put it in that
directory? Where would the imagemap configuration file go?
5. A specific MS FrontPage question: As I am using the MS FrontPage and
personal web server to do my web page development, do I need to set up the
domain in the server so it exactly matches the web server model> For
example, do I configure it to have the domain name as www.ozemail.com.au?

Cheers!

MIchael John Little
Sine Timore, Per Ardua Ad Astra!

Hyper Communications
Knowledge is Power, yet True Power is Communicating Knowledge

1/36 Lusher Road Croydon Victoria Australia
Tel. (61) 015 886 190 Fax. 613 9722 9668
Email: hypercom -at- c031 -dot- aone -dot- net -dot- au
WWW: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~hypercom/index.htm