Re: I think hell froze over or Where is Nirvana?

Subject: Re: I think hell froze over or Where is Nirvana?
From: Gaylin Walli <gaylin -dot- walli -at- CDC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 09:28:52 -0500

Virginia Link wrote:

> Enquiring minds want to know: where is this place, and are
> they hiring? Especially telecommuters, although we'd miss out on
> the hackysack, etc.

For those of you who've asked and those of you who've wondered, my
Nirvana post really is true, not just a story. I work for a satellite
office of Control Data in Southfield, Michigan (Detroit to those of you
not familiar with our strange geography). I make no claims about the
main office of Control Data or their Tech Pubs group in Arden Hills, MN.

I telecommute from St. Joseph, Michigan, which is on the opposite side
of the state, just off Lake Michigan (can see it from my bedroom window,
as a matter of fact), about three and a half hours away from Detroit. I
only have to come in to work a couple of days each week (sometimes
less), though I've stuck around for the first month because I wanted to
have immediate access to the knowledge of the programmers.

And, unfortunately, no budget has been authorized for additional writers
in the near future. I'm begging them for more help because there's so
much to do, but we're waiting on funding. I swear on every tech writing
manual I hold dear that I will post any job openings to y'all first, as
soon as I hear about them.

Gaylin

Gaylin Walli
gaylin -dot- walli -at- cdc -dot- com