Relating steps to larger procedures

Subject: Relating steps to larger procedures
From: "Virginia J. Link" <LINKVI -at- MAIL -dot- STATE -dot- WI -dot- US>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:24:14 -0600

Ms Packman wrote:

<snip>
My question is, how do I indicate that those steps are part of a larger
procedure. One of the suggestions I've had (thanks, Bonni) was to write it
this way:

Step One: Install the Framis
First you need to install the Framis:
Step 1. Type thing 1. Something happens.
Step 2. Type thing 2. Something else happens here
Step 3. Type thing 3. Still another thing happens here.

Step Two: Install the Dohicky
After you have installed the Framis, install the Dohicky:
Step 1. Type thing 4. Something happens
Step 2. Etc.

Hold your fire, please, but we use the "military" numbering style that has,
say, 1.0 for a major heading, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 for first-level subs, 1.1.1,
1.1.2, 1.1.3, for second-level subs, etc., as in:

1.0 Introducing Whatsits
1.1 All About Whatsits [indexed as: Whatsits, All About... ;) ]
1.2 When To Use Whatsits?
1.3 When Not To Use Whatsits

2.0 Instructions
2.1 Find the Right Whatsit for the Job
2.1.1 XXX Jobs
2.2.1 YYY Jobs
2.2 Etc.

I hated it at first, but the decision came down as marching orders, and so
march we did, It beats wishing and hoping that graduated type size,
underline, and ALL CAPS (heaven forbid!) were enough visual clues to tell
the reader how deep in Whatsits they are.............

We combine the numbered headers/titles with type point-size gradations,
depending on how deep into whatsits levels we are.

TIOLI, as you wish.

Virginia
Madison, WI