Re: Trouble with SME

Subject: Re: Trouble with SME
From: "Kim L. Shaw" <103205 -dot- 402 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 15:59:35 EST

Melinda,

In my first editorial job, one client/SME always insisted we personally review
and discuss every single edit to every one of his manuscripts. Since I was too
young and naive to know better, I did this as a matter of course...and now I'm
glad! The experience disciplined me to edit carefully and have substantive
reasons for all my changes. Over time, the client figured out what I was doing
editorially and quit asking me to explain every single change. I had a great
relationship with this guy and really enjoyed working with him.

All this is a long-winded way of saying I think you should handle your difficult
programmer with a little TLC. Sit down and discuss things with him -- word by
word if necessary. After a couple of these meetings, he'll either support what
you're doing or get tired of spending so much time on reviews. It's always
worthwhile to do what it takes to let SMEs know you're acting in THEIR best
interests. In the long run, you'll gain their trust so you can do your job with
less "unnecessary" feedback.

Good luck!

Kim Shaw
Words & Graphics Inc.
103205 -dot- 402 -at- compuserve -dot- com