online conference papers/ASTC

Subject: online conference papers/ASTC
From: wongword -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 21:02:56 +1000

Hi everyone

The annual 2 day conference of the ASTC (NSW) --- the Australian Society for Technical
Communication, New South Wales (state) is being held this weekend in Sydney. Our theme
this year is "From paper to online".

I'm just back after the first day. It was a great day catching up with technical
communicators from various parts of Australia, incl at least one from this list! For the
first time our conference papers will be posted at

www.hci.com.au/astc

The papers are not there yet but check again in a week or so.

If you think you might be interested in the papers I have included a list of some of the
speakers later in this message.

By the way the Suncorp presentation (Suncorp is a financial institution) at our
conference was given at the American STC conference earlier this year.

For your information the ASTC (NSW) has just launched its own Web page. We only found
out the address today at our conference so I haven't looked at it myself yet. If you
want to comment on it write to b -dot- mattick -at- uts -dot- edu -dot- au -dot- The address is
http://www.uts.edu.au/fac/hss/astc/index.html

Conference topics follow

Regards
Irene Wong
acting managing editor/developmental editor
Australian Securities Commission, Sydney

ASTC conference Friday and Saturday, November 1-2

View of the future ? Communications in an Online World
Professor Vance Gledhill, Director, Microsoft Institute of Advanced Software
Technology

Developing Internal Procedures Online: the HOWWE Manuals Project at SUNCORP
Helen Smith and Dean Bell, SUNCORP

Language Complexity Problems in Police Interrogation of 2nd Language Speakers
John Gibbons, University of Sydney (an interesting session, also very relevant for
people writing in plain english)

Problems and Opportunities of Internet/Intranet within an Organisation
Martin Head, Solution 6

Designing Online Help Systems ? What Didn?t Work?
Alan Charlton, Australian Centre for Unisys Software

Effective design of Information in the Online Environment
Maureen Henninger, University of NSW
(She recommended the following website as an example of a site that has effectively used
graphics; it has a graphic showing where you are in the depth of the site; has an
effective graphic of feet for making a quick tour; and has been developed with with 3
very different users in mind. Incidentally these users are generally from America:
1 students who will be interested in the beaches near the university
2 parents who will be paying the fees
3 administrators in universities who will be giving references for these students.
http://www.silas.unsw.edu.au/ipace)

Workshop 1: Creating Visual Rhetoric ? the Principles of Good Design
Helen Ryan, the Word Group

Workshop 2: Writing, Editing and Indexing Online
Jill Nicholson, N&H Communications, Jean Hollis Weber,
Michael Wyatt, Keyword Editorial Services

Workshop 3: Expanding your Horizons in Microsoft Word
Nicole Moyle, Citidata, Sally Keohane, Citidata

Workshop 4: Putting the Human Factor into Interface Design
Helen Smith, Online Design Consultant (SUNCORP)

Technical Tools for Technical Editors
Session presented by the Society of Editors