Hard Hitting Computing

Subject: Hard Hitting Computing
From: Ben Hechter <ben_hechter -at- NORTEL-NSM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 14:57:49 -0800

Recently saw a billboard splash (talk about the popularization of personal
computing) announcing the "next killer application."

This term has always bugged me. Do you think that it has a violent subtext
or is it just the kinder, gentler Canadian in me? I mean, what's wrong with
"powerful, next wave, etc."

Other examples of hard-hitting computing that come to mind are:

- "kill -9" (UNIX command)
- "Hit Enter" (verbal)

Maybe we could come up with a glossary of two-fisted computing terms. No,
"paste" doesn't count, even though it's in Webster.

Ben Hechter
Northern Telecom
Vancouver, B.C