Re: Microsoft Style Guide

Subject: Re: Microsoft Style Guide
From: "Wayne J. Douglass" <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 09:14:30 -0800

At 10:10 AM 11/6/96 PST, Dianne Martin wrote:

>I have to admit to purchasing the MS Style Guide. I use it the same way
>that I use other style guides, not as the only style book, but in addition
>to others (including the AP Stylebook and the Chicago Manual of Style) MS's
>is the one that, currently, best defines/describes computer terms. I write
>software documentation and with the speed at which things change, I need a
>reference for standardizing my references to things such as dialogs, drop
>downs, etc.

It sounds to me that you use the style guide only for the glossary.

When it comes to a style guide that covers the full range of technical
writing issues, I always recommend SCIENCE AND TECHNICAL WRITING: A MANUAL
OF STYLE, Philip Rubens, General Editor (Henry Holt, 1992). Topics include
the usual language, spelling, punctuation, etc. recommendations as well as
broader questions like addressing non-native speakers of English (the best
summary I've seen anywhere). Each chapter is written by an expert in the
topic (for example, William Horton on effective tables, charts and diagrams).

--Wayne Douglass
Verity, Inc. Email: wayned -at- verity -dot- com
894 Ross Drive Telephone: 408-542-2139
Sunnyvale, CA 94089 Facsimile: 408-542-2040