FAQs - what do you think of them?

Subject: FAQs - what do you think of them?
From: Nicole Saleeba <nsaleeba -at- CONNECT -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 15:59:19 +1100

Dear All,

I couldn't find this in the archives so hope it's a new thread (my first
question so please be gentle)....

What do people think of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) lists as a means of
providing instruction and advice? They are a growing phenomena on the Web
but I'm not convinced they are an effective means of communication, or at
least, not the most effective.

Have any of you ever elected an FAQ as the best means of communication, or
been asked/told to produce documentation in this format?

Should we as technical writers support or discourage this type of documentation?

Looking forward to your thoughts
Cheers
Nicole
Nicole Saleeba
Technical Writer
Melbourne, Australia
nsaleeba -at- connect -dot- com -dot- au