Results of "Tool" survey

Subject: Results of "Tool" survey
From: Cheryl Kidder <chekid -at- POSTMAN -dot- SYMIX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 07:45:21 -0500

Hi All:
I sent out a mail inquiring about online Help authoring tools and these
were the results. I received 14 responses.

RoboHelp - 5
Winhelp (or no tool) - 4
ForeHelp - 4
Doc-to-Help - 1

Although the advoates for RoboHelp are pretty convincing, I was
surprised by the number of comments that using Winhelp, or no 3rd party
tool, is a good foundation for the online Help author. The consensus
seems to be that tools are useful only after you have mastered the
fundamentals, or underpinnings of the basic coding.

Tools seem to speed development along and make certain types of
construction easier, which indicates to me, that, as a Doc department
with almost two years under our belts of developing and maintaining an
online system solely with Winhelp, a tool could boost our productivity
and make life a little easier.

Thanks for your responses,
Cheryl D. Kidder
Senior Information Developer