Web Publishing from a Database

Subject: Web Publishing from a Database
From: wburns -at- MICRON -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 08:11:48 MST

Hiya, techwhirlers.

I'm trying to gather some information on publishing web
documents from a database on the fly. We're currently using
Saros Mezzanine and Document Manager to store our online
documentation (as opposed to online help--thanks for the
distinction, Sue). I'd like to make our documents more modular
and less like the linear hardcopy behemoths that some of them are.

I'll reveal to you my true agenda. I'm trying to get IS here to
develop a system conducive to SGML publishing, but since they have
other priorities (e.g., the control and approval mechanisms that
we have to add on to the system), I have to introduce these
elements to the electronic document management group piece by piece
until I have enough to work with. So far, so good, but we're at a
crucial point where either they decide to take a more focused
direction--with luck, in favor of SGML.

So what I'm looking for is examples of sites with content compiled
on the fly from a database. Does this need to be done using cgis,
or must some more robust mechanisms be put into place?

I'm not looking for a production-ready solution but one that can
help me move closer to that final aim (an SGML publishing system).

Please respond directly to me. If anyone is interested in the
information, I'll compile the responses and post them to the list
(or directly to those indivuals).

Bill Burns
Assembly Documentation Supervisor
wburns -at- micron -dot- com
This message brought to you by W.A.S.T.E.
and your local potsmaster.