Re: Web Publishing from a Database

Subject: Re: Web Publishing from a Database
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 13:05:15 -0800

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996 08:11:48 MST, wburns -at- MICRON -dot- COM wrote:

>So what I'm looking for is examples of sites with content compiled
>on the fly from a database. Does this need to be done using cgis,
>or must some more robust mechanisms be put into place?

>I'm not looking for a production-ready solution but one that can
>help me move closer to that final aim (an SGML publishing system).

I'm not sure how well it fits your SGML goal, but I know of one
excellent option for getting a database on the web: IBM produces an
HTTP server (the non-secure version is free) that has full support to
link directly into a DB2 database (it also has CICS support!). If you
want to give it a look, go to www.ibm.com and use their search engine
to look for "Internet Connection Server".

There are, if I remember correctly, OS/2, AIX, NT, and a couple other
versions available (pretty much everything DB2 supports).

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>

Living in the limelight, the universal dream, for those who wish to seem
Those who wish to be, must put aside the alienation
Get on with the fascination, the real relation
The underlying theme...
- Rush, "Limelight"