Re: Killer -Reply-ABEND

Subject: Re: Killer -Reply-ABEND
From: Dianne Martin <MartinD -at- TRAVIS -dot- TYC -dot- STATE -dot- TX -dot- US>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:34:00 PST

You still see the ABEND message in the PC world today. Just watch your
local area network (LAN) file server slowly die. You will get ABEND
messages there and they still mean: ABnormal END.

Maybe we don't see this message all that often (as end users - not
programmers/systems people) because the programs have better recovery
capabilities and the hardware is actually more stable now!

Just a thought!
Dianne Martin

----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: TECHWR-L
Subject: Re: Killer -Reply
Date: Wednesday, November 13, 1996 2:55PM

Eric Haddock wrote:

> I can honestly say I've never heard "abend" in my whole life.

> Is it a term mostly used outside of America?

"Abend" used to be a very common term in the industry, in the U.S.,
but perhaps it's no longer used much outside operations.

David Dvorkin