Re: State-of-the Art Backup Systems

Subject: Re: State-of-the Art Backup Systems
From: Dianne Martin <MartinD -at- TRAVIS -dot- TYC -dot- STATE -dot- TX -dot- US>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 09:26:00 PST

Depending on what system/operating system your client is using, I suggest
one of the IOMega drives. I use the Zip drive - floppy style drive with
100mg storage per disk. They also have a newer Jazz drive that does 2g (?)
of data.

I use the Zip because 1) it is relatively cheap, 2) the drive and disks port
easily in my notebook case, 3) It allows you to xfer data between Win 3.1,
Win95, WinNT and regular old DOS machines (probably others - I think MACs
are included but I don't deal with any other environments).

It has worked very well for me. The company is doing well so I believe we
can expect them to be around for a while!

Just a thought
Dianne Martin

----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: TECHWR-L
Subject: State-of-the Art Backup Systems
Date: Thursday, November 14, 1996 9:58AM

As an independent technical communicator, I am working on several =
concurrent projects which of require backing up. Many of these =
publications are lengthy with numerous graphics. Hence they take up a =
lot of space.=20

I have a Syquist drive which is useful for transporting large books to =
and from the client.

I recently upgraded to Windows 95. Unfortunately, the backup software I =
had been doing is not supported. Consequently, for the short run I have =
zipping the publications and writing them to a spare Syquist drive.

However, this is somewhat cumbersome. I would like to set up backup =
system them works with Windows 95, handles large capacities for =
appending successive versions, and is easy for retrieval of stored =
files. What are my options? Regular tape system, compression (floppy) =
system?

Ideas appreciated for state-of-the-art backup systems.

Jon Leer
Leer Technical Communications
Bedford, NH
USA