Killer language OR The Topic that ate the list

Subject: Killer language OR The Topic that ate the list
From: Patricia Funston <pfunston -at- OPENTEXT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:58:50 -0500

The debate has been great. Thank you to everyone who has participated.

Since I'm responsible for re-initiating this debate after an earlier demise, I thought I would try to summarize and conclude (in a collegial way) the discussion, because I don't think we're ever going to reach consensus (and I have to spend less time on my mail!)

Some people see a technical difference between aborting and stopping a process.

Some people feel that not using the word "abort" is a laughable exercise in political correctness.

Some people recognize that over time, some words fall from "preferred" usage.

No one has bothered with execute and kill, so I guess we can all see where the hot spot lies!

Some people think it's a gender issue; the actual response suggests this isn't true.

Some people think that context weighs more heavily in the word choice; others don't.

Bottom line: good luck and happy writing with *your* choice of usage!

Signing off now (with some regrets)!

PFunston

pfunston -at- opentext -dot- com

<<application/ms-tnef>>