Re: Killer Terminology

Subject: Re: Killer Terminology
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 09:57:50 -0600

Theresa Perkins wrote:

> behavior in this sector of society. Years ago, the world of computers was
> composed almost exclusively of males. It makes sense then, that the language
> used to describe certain functions would reflect and perpetuate a patriarchal
> way of thinking. This would explain why we have the absence of such phrases as

I had a female boss several years ago who imagined that as more women moved into
upper management, the phrase "penetrate the market" would give way to "nurture the
market."

The issue of offensive language in software isn't new. The company where we worked
decided (before 1987) to remove the term "abort" from its software, precisely
because of its potential to give offense.

Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019