Re: Editing Software

Subject: Re: Editing Software
From: David Jones <dvjones -at- KSBE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 08:17:36 -1000

Small suggestion, also one that might lead to more money in tech
writer's pockets:

*Write some real world text books!*

When I taught technical writing, I and the other instructor involved
looked for textbooks to use. Sadly, most of them were far out of
date, and even updated editions were out of touch with real world
tech writing. There were a lot of good books out there on tech
writing, but very few were written as textbooks.

On 21 Nov 96 at 8:18, * wrote:

> Recap: Janet noted her school's profs failed to tell her
> about the TW tools of the trade -- it read as if they simply
> failed her, period.

> Suggestion (based upon experience): TWs, especially those in
> hiring positions, need to get back to the schools and let
> the department chairs know the grads are/are not prepared
> for ''real world'' work. Be specific. ''Your grads can't
> write their own names'' may be true, but if the problem
> really is ''mil-specs require writers to write in active
> voice and your graduate(s) who applied (work) here were
> trained only to write passively.'' Grammar, spelling,
> organizational and interviewing skills ... PLUS generic
> hardware and software -- at least let the grad be ''computer
> literate'' sufficient to know the CD ROM drive is NOT a cup
> holder.

> I earlier wrote that this is based upon experience. 'Tis. As
> editor of a small-town Wyoming paper I inherited 3 staffers.
> One an English major from a SD school and 2 fresh ought'a U
> of WY. Neither UW grad was trained to write. I complained
> to UW's j-dept as precisely as I could and, lo & behold, UW
> actually reviewed its j program & made changes to better
> prepare its grads for work in publishing. (BTW, the English
> major did OK, but she had OJT before I came on board. I also
> hired a HS grad as a ''Emma Bombeck write-alike'' & she,
> too, did OK -- that is, better than my UW grads upon
> arrival. One UW grad proved trainable.)

> john glenn <sfarmh1 -at- scfn -dot- thpl -dot- lib -dot- fl -dot- us>

David Jones, Technical Writer
dvjones -at- ksbe -dot- edu

Today is the product of decisions we have made,
or let others make for us.

DISCLAIMER:
The views described herein are the views of the author, and
do not represent the views or opinions of Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate, nor is there any approval or authorization of
this material, express or implied, by the Kamehameha Schools
Bishop Estate. If you suspect that any of the material in
this message or attachments thereto is in violation of a
copyright, please notify the Webmaster immediately by e-mail
at "Webmaster -at- ksbe -dot- edu".