Re: Correct Wording for Examples

Subject: Re: Correct Wording for Examples
From: Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:36:49 -0800

OK--now I'm *not* a "weak" reader by any standard, but I didn't know
about the distinction between i.e., and e.g., until I joined a
publications department and had to work with other writers. On this
list I may be one of the younger generation, but I'm not that young and
I had a pretty good education. It was very easy for me to read *a lot*
and not have trouble discerning meaning.

Personally, I think it's more of an issue to writers than readers,
partly because we're more sensitive to words and meaning, but mainly
because--unlike the reader--we have to decide which one to use! The
*average* reader (the ones who don't read with a dictionary in their
lap) figures out the meaning without it becoming a big issue.

Having said that, I should add I'm one of those who avoids i.e., and
e.g., and uses "that is" and "such as" (or for example) instead. I've
done informal surveys on the subject (it was a big issue for me because
I was shocked at learning new grammar at age 28--now I learn new stuff
every day!), and found that *most* people either don't know the
distinction or have it wrong. So why use it--just because it lends a
highbrow air and let's us talk condescendingly about "weak" readers and
poorly educated? Everyone understands the english alternatives. Let's
let i.e., and e.g., fall by the wayside as archaic language should.

Sella Rush
Applied Technical Systems, Inc. (ATS)
Bremerton, Washington USA
Developers of the CCM Database