Re: Correct Wording for Examples

Subject: Re: Correct Wording for Examples
From: Stan Radomski <radomski -at- PUBS16 -dot- SI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 07:03:06 -0500

All,

I just couldn't let this one sit anymore...

I understand, to a degree, the idea behind avoiding i.e. and e.g., but if I
use that same logic on other abbreviations I would have to stop using:

et al
et seq
AD
AM
PM
etc

Granted some of them are not as common, unless you work with bibligraphies
or law, but avoiding abbreviations simply because they are Latin in orgin would
also remove some very common ones.

Is that the direction we really want to head?

If I was writing a _____ for Dummies book I would need to question whether my
audience had much exposure to i.e. and e.g. but I can't imagine that the average
reader would doen't understand the basic usage.

Comments?

Stan
radomski -at- si -dot- com

My employer didn't say this...I did.