Re: how-to screen capture...

Subject: Re: how-to screen capture...
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 08:24:38 -0800

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996 15:33:03 +1, Peter Ring, PRC wrote:

>You are right for windows with a fixed size, for example most dialog
>boxes.

>But you are wrong for resizeable windows and full screen windows. If

You can increase or decrease the size of the window, but not generally
of the fonts or of the proportions of items inside the window (buttons,
graphics, etc.) Screen resolution still has little effect on the
quality of these captures.

>By the way, I have discovered a special problem when using 1280x1024
>screendumps: distortion due to W/H ratio. Look here:

>640/480 = 1.3333
>800/600 = 1.3333
>1024/768 = 1.3333
>1280/1024 = 1.25
>1600/1200 = 1.3333

>Wonder who invented 1280x1024? It should have been 1280x960 if it was
>to have the same W/H ratio as the rest of them.

True, but how often does one use full-screen dumps in documentation?
Most often, one uses a capture of a specific window or dialog, in which
case the amount of real estate around it is immaterial.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>

And the men who hold high place