Re: DTP Shootout

Subject: Re: DTP Shootout
From: Bill Bledsoe <bill -at- ENVISION -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 12:22:40 -0600

Matt Ion wrote:

> I've not been overly impressed by previous versions of WP, but I must
> say, Corel's new release really impressed me. It'll be particularly
> interesting to see it written in Java.

<SNIPPED TO PASS THE BANDWIDTH SAVINGS ON TO YOU THE CONSUMER>

Matt, I think you've hit the proverbial nail... I would put up with the
new, less quirky but still quirky, version of WordPerfect, if I could
run the SAME DTP on all platforms. Frame's port to Windows is hideous
at best, and while Adobe gets a B+ for trying to upgrade it to make it
at least win32 compliant... it still is one of the most user hostile
pieces of software on the market. The only people I know that have fond
opinions of Frame, are the people for whom Frame was their first GUI
DTP. It just doesn't have the same feel as the rest of the GUI's.

A WordPerfect, ported to JAVA and run through your web browser, should
have both Redmond, WA and Palo Alto, CA seriously worried. WordPerfect
has the significant and accessable processing language behind it, and I
could get over the quirkyness if I used the same interface on all
platforms, and that there were absolutely no file formats on any of
them.

You can try out the BETA Java port of WordPerfect at
http://www.corel.com

Officially, my vote goes to MS Word for shorties and longies... and
especially for pre-online design (Lots of good freeware HTML converters,
and WinHELP with Frame is a fallacy, because of the non-standard RTF it
produces). Frame is the only DTP that somewhat successfully negotiates
the Windows/UNIX platform issue, but it doesn't do that NEARLY as well
as a JAVA-Ported WordPerfect would...

That's my $.02 worth...
Bill Bledsoe
Technical Communicator
St. Louis, MO
bill -at- envision -dot- com or intlidox -at- anet-stl -dot- com
webmaster: St. Louis Chapter - STC <www.stc.org/region6/stl>

"The Internet is the first thing that
humanity has built that humanity doesn't
understand," Eric Schmidt, CTO Sun 10/18/96