Re: Advanced Degrees

Subject: Re: Advanced Degrees
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 10:04:40 -0500

David Hailey <FAHAILEY -at- wpo -dot- hass -dot- usu -dot- edu> wrote:

>> These schools have no idea (nor interest in) what the market
>>demands. They call a professional approach to technical writing education
>>"mercenary" and argue that there is no point in teaching skills that require
>>software because the software will be obsolete in six months--

An excellent reason for teaching LOTS of tool-related skills, IMHO. The
specific tools you choose for the coursework are almost irrelevant. What
you are -really- teaching, after all, is the ability to -learn tools-
quickly and efficiently. The concepts and trouble-shooting techniques I
learned in classes using WP and PageMaker were very useful when I needed to
work out problems with Word and FrameMaker.

K -at- __________________Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting Services
Technical writing / Editing / Document design / Research

"Let horrid Jargon split the Air/And rive the Nerves asunder."
___William Billings, in The Singing Master's Assistant (1778)