summary: bigger bang

Subject: summary: bigger bang
From: Thom Remington <remingtf -at- ENGG-MAIL -dot- LVS -dot- DUPONT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 14:17:02 -0500

A few weeks ago, I wrote for input on a minor controversy that had arisen
here over the expression "bigger bang for the buck." I promised to summarize
to the list.

For review, the question had to do with the origins of the term. Did it have
to do with the military, as in cost-effectiveness with explosives, or did it
have to do with prostitution? The bottom line had to do with some folks
belief that a corporate use of the term was inappropriate.

I received 7 replies. Everyone supported my contention that the phrase had
military origins having to do with explosives. I haven't had a chance to
look it up in a dictionary of slang, but I will do so.

One respondent added a question about my name, wondering if perhaps the
expression had to do with Remington Arms and ammunition. I *am* distantly
related to the folks who founded the company, but I don't think there's a
connection. His comment:

"Just my $0.2: since you are a Remington working at duPont, an ammunition
manufacturer, it's obvious to me that the phrase is an advertising slogan
for deer- and elk- and antelope-hunting shells."
Thom Remington thomas -dot- f -dot- remingon -at- usa -dot- dupont -dot- com
DuPont External Affairs
Information Design & Development
http://www.dupont.com
http://www.concentric.net/~remingtf