Re: Certification/Degrees

Subject: Re: Certification/Degrees
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 22:30:23 -0700

Michael Wing commented that....

>-- The dividing lines are almost generational.

I agree. I also felt that M. Wing's other comments were perceptive.

The only other thing to add is that either a TW can do the work, or
they can't. That is, the degree of correlation between certification
and actual job performance is low.

Is certification better than nothing? Maybe. If the generational
gap continues, then the new generation will simply wait until we
die off then define their own standards.

Perhaps our best legacy is to allow certification while the elder
generation can still define the standards. I can think of some
awfully nasty test questions that happened For Real.

David (The Man) Blyth
Technical Writer & Web Site Designer
QUALCOMM

The usual disclaimers apply - QUALCOMM isn't that crazy.

Blodo Poa Maximus