Degrees/certification

Subject: Degrees/certification
From: StevenX Gott <StevenX_Gott -at- CCM -dot- RR -dot- INTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 13:53:00 PST

>Here we have the crux of the matter. Degrees/certification cannot
>guarantee competence, but they can be used as criteria for "competitive
>advantage," whatever that means.

I agree and I think it depends on your personal situation.

I decided I wanted to be a technical writer and the only way in seemed
to be with a degree. So I returned to school and finished my degree.
Some classes were better than others. At that time, I already had close
to 12 years experience in two different technical fields. I was hired as
a contract tech writer about a month before I graduated with my BA in
English. The job required writing procedures for the Ultra Pure Water
group and I was told my experience in this field was the deciding
factor. So, for me, my experience was instrumental in starting my new
career.

That was a few years ago. I'm still at the same job and I realize I
still have much to learn. However, I don't think my degree has hurt one
bit.

Steven Gott
steveng -at- Rt66 -dot- com