Re: Quickie semantic question

Subject: Re: Quickie semantic question
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 20:21:00 EST

At 01:58 PM 12/18/96 -0800, you wrote:
>** If it's after 3pm PST, ignore this question **

>I want to say that, over time, a process takes longer and longer to
>complete.

>Should I say:

>"you've found it increasingly more time-consuming to..."

>or

>"you've found it increasingly time-consuming to..."

>or either?

>Thanks, Sella

I'll assume that you've a good reason for keeping the second person.

My answer to your question is a conditional one, depending on the remainder
of your sentence. If your sentence goes on to contrast two actions, then
"more" is probably valid, as in:

"You've found it increasingly more time-consuming to move the mouse than to
press keys on the keyboard."

Then "more" is necessary.

However, if you're only talking about one action that's taking up more time
as it grows, then I'd eliminate the "more", because "increasingly" is plenty
good enough. "Increasingly," after all, communicates the concept of a rate
change. You don't need "more" to drive that point home.

Tim Altom
Vice President, Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882 (voice) 317.899.5987 (fax)
FrameMaker support ForeHelp support