Re: Agency and interviewing questions

Subject: Re: Agency and interviewing questions
From: "Shrock, Kelley" <KSHROCK -at- COSSYMWEST -dot- CO -dot- SYMBIOS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 14:52:00 MST

I've gotten behind on reading mail, but I'd like to weigh in on this idea.
We use this technique as part of our interview process for senior writers,
but with a "real" SME as the interviewer. FWIW, we have received positive
feedback on this part of the interview from the people we've hired. And we
use the same engineer each time, a technically sharp guy who also happens to
have excellent people skills. We don't ask the candidate to do any actual
writing because of the time limitation, but by talking through some
technical issues with an engineer, we are able to assess the candidate's
ability to work under pressure, to gather information, and to handle (and
learn) unfamiliar material. In our last interview process, this phase of
the interview surfaced some issues that caused us to reject a candidate who
looked great on paper (including writing samples) and did a good job
discussing the "theory" of technical communications and handling specific
projects.
Kelley Shrock
Symbios Logic, Colorado Springs
kelley -dot- shrock -at- symbios -dot- com
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: TECHWR-L
Date: Monday, December 09, 1996 2:45PM

Have any of you ever been given a test when interviewed? I have used this
technique in the past and have been pleased with the results. Simply set up
a fictional task requiring a fairly simple procedure to written for it.
Pick a task that will take an hour or less to document. You, as the
interviewer, doubles as the SME. This precess reveals a lot about the
candidate, such as:

1) Does s/he ask about a style guide?
2) Does s/he ask intelligent questions about the task?
3) Does s/he work well under pressure?
4) Did s/he document the procedure thoroughly?

The test should not be the only criteria for evaluating the candidate, but
you will find it to be a very effective way to weed out imposters.

Beware: Senior Tech. Writers may be 'offended' by this tact. The good ones,
however, will simply use it as a way to show off their talents.

Roger M.