Re: Agency and interviewing questions

Subject: Re: Agency and interviewing questions
From: Barb Philbrick <burkbrick -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 17:24:00 GMT

In article <32A9CB8E -dot- 1BD6 -at- stlnet -dot- com>, Peggy Schillinger
<peggys -at- stlnet -dot- com> writes:

>> Does anybody have some hot tips on how to tell if an
>> applicant has such high-level [PageMaker} skills?
>>
>Why don't you just ask the applicant? If you explain how tough the
>project is going to be and that training is not provided, the applicants
can
>judge for themselves.

Because people who want jobs lie, and some truly don't understand their
lack of skill. I've been burned twice on this and know someone else who
was burned.

As an example, I worked with one woman who after a month of working with
Ventura told me, "I'm bored. I know everything there is to know about
Ventura now." She had never worked with a DTP before, and from the
questions she was asking me, she hardly had a grasp on the basics, let
alone being an expert. Another example: A friend of mine hired someone who
claimed to know several word processing packages. When this person
started, she had to be shown how to cut and paste blocks of text.

Regards,

Barb