Re: Black English/Ebonics

Subject: Re: Black English/Ebonics
From: Guilden <guilden -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 13:04:58 -0500

> I've followed the Ebonics thread with interest, too, remembering other
times
> when this topic came up. Black English/Ebonics, of course, has syntax and
> grammar, but linguists are split over whether it's a language or a
dialect.

I've not followed much of the thread, so forgive if this has already been
posted. I saw Noam Chomsky lecture a few years ago and this question was
asked of him. His opinion was that it is most definitely a language, if I
remember correctly.

guilden -at- iquest -dot- net
Why do you look at me and not speak of your happiness? And the beast
wants to answer, "Because I always forget what I wish to say." But he
forgets this answer too, and is silent. --Nietzsche