Re: DTP survey results

Subject: Re: DTP survey results
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- AIRMAIL -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 11:07:52 +600

On 23 Dec 96 at 18:10, Kris Olberg wrote:

> Sometime ago, I asked TECHWR-L and TECHCOMM listserv members to send
> me an e-mail indicating which DTP (desktop publishing) application
> they use.

> RESULTS
> 43 FrameMaker
> 39 Word
> 16 PageMaker

Thanks for the information, Kris. It points up one consistent
problem... that many writers do not understand the word "desktop
publishing application"! Word is NOT a dtp application. Yes, we are
often forced to use it in place of one, but just because you slap a
Cadillac insignia on a VW Beetle, the Beetle does not act or become a
Cadillac!

If we do not understand the difference, how can we expect our
employers or clients to understand it when we tell them we need the
right tool for the right job?

Jane Bergen

"my opinions are my own..."
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer