DTP survey results

Subject: DTP survey results
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 18:10:16 -0800

Sometime ago, I asked TECHWR-L and TECHCOMM listserv members to send me an
e-mail indicating which DTP (desktop publishing) application they use.

RESULTS
I received a total of 86 responses. Some responses indicated that they used
more than one package, so I tallied all packages indicated (for example, if
an e-mail said "I use Word and Frame," I added one to the Frame tally and
one to Word). Also, some indicated preferences; however, no opinions are not
reflected in the numbers below.

Although I did not specifically request location information, I did receive
some. I tallied the numbers according to large geographical groupings such
as US?Midwest, Canada?East, and so on. The sample is too small for any
statistical analysis. They do hint that Frame is a popular package on the
West Coast of the U.S.

Here are the results, listed in order:

43 FrameMaker
39 Word
16 PageMaker
7 Ventura
7 Interleaf
6 WordPerfect
3 Quark
1 Xerox products
1 Word Pro
1 Ami Pro
1 Serif?s Page Plus
1 AsterX
1 IWrite
1 Arbortext
1 Datalogics

By location:

US--Midwest:
3 Word
2 PageMaker
1 Frame
1 Quark
US--East:
2 Word, 2
2 Frame, 2
2 PageMaker
US?West
6 Frame
2 Word
1 Interleaf
1 PageMaker
US?South
2 Word
2 Frame
1 AsterX
1 IWrite
Australia:
1 Frame
1 Word
Canada--East:
1 Frame
1 Word
1 PageMaker
Canada--West:
2 PageMaker
1 Frame
1 Word
Israel:
1 Word
New Zealand:
1 Word
1 Xerox products
Regards...Kris
kjolberg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com (preferred)
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com