Re: Word instead of FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Word instead of FrameMaker
From: Tan Joo Khim <jktan -at- CTHOST -dot- CT -dot- CREAF -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 10:31:15 +0800

Thanks, Melanie and several other tech writers, for your helpful answers.

However, I would like to rephrase my earlier question slightly: Pls advise
on the pros and cons of using Word 97 instead of FrameMaker 5.0 for printed
documentation.

Microsoft's new Word97 apparently has a lot of improved features in the
areas of cross-referencing, master documents, etc. But I've yet to see the
real thing.

- jookhim +

----------
> From: Flanders, Melanie <mflanders -at- DYNASTY -dot- COM>
> Subject: Re: Word instead of FrameMaker
> Date: Wednesday, January 15, 1997 11:20 AM
>
> And now for the cons...
>
> 1. If you need TOC and indexing capabilities for your document, Word
can't begin
> to handle the task. FrameMaker allows you a lot of flexibility in
designing
> formats and generates them with little manual intervention. The cross
references
> are accurate. With Word, it's a crapshoot, and you can spend HOURS
manually
> correcting incorrectly generated page numbers. Word does not allow much
> flexibility in creating TOCs. We have had several users have squirrelly
thing
> occur when they were trying to create a TOC and we couldn't find a way to
> troubleshoot the problem.
>
> 2. If you have large documents, Word has difficulty handling the size.
> FrameMaker's book file capability allows you to generate large documents
easily
> and quickly. Other timing and space issues can also depend on the
hardware you
> have.
>
> 3. If you use a lot of tables in your doc, Frame allows you to define
your own
> table formats. Editing and manipulating tables in FM is a breeze; in
Word, they
> are a nightmare.
>
> 4. If you use structured writing methodologies (such as Information
Mapping), it

_________________________________
> Subject: Word instead of FrameMaker
> Author: Tan Joo Khim <jktan -at- CTHOST -dot- CT -dot- CREAF -dot- COM>
> Sender: "Technical Writers
> List; for al at ~INTERNET
> Date: 1/14/97 8:23 PM
>

> Pls advise on the pros and cons of using Word instead of FrameMaker for
> printed documentation.
>
> >From our point of view, the immediate benefit of using Word instead of
> FrameMaker are:
> 1. Currently, there are no Asian versions of FM. Standardizing on Word
> would mean that worldwide loc offices can all work on the original
> documents that HQ
> has created.
>
> 2. Word is also a good platform for generating WinHelp and HTML.
> Eventually, we
> probably should standardize on HTML as this will mean one consistent
> interface for
> the user instead of three different online solutions: WinHelp,
Acrobat