Re: Editor's problems

Subject: Re: Editor's problems
From: KLShaw <KLShaw -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 17:00:45 -0800

Stacey Marner wrote:

<< 1. When to capitalize "government?" >>

I never capitalize this word, but maybe treatment depends on which major
style guide you follow. (I use Chicago.)

<< 2. When two words are hyphenated together ...and the words are part
of a capitalized title, would you cap both or just the first? >>

I capitalize both words in hyphenated compounds in titles. Don't know
the RULE, but capitlizing just the first word of the compound looks
funny to me. But don't capitlize the second element of solid compounds
(e.g., database).

<< 3. Is there some rule that when an acronym is introduced for the
first time in a document, that it's expanded form is always capped? >>

I know of no rule, but I don't capitalize common nouns even if when they
have acronyms, which obviously are all caps.

Just an observation -- many technical experts I've worked with tend to
capitalize all kind of words for no apparent reason. I eliminate it as
much as possible. As an editor, you need to develop a set of
capitalization rules and be as consistent as possible. Chicago is a
good reference.

Kim Shaw
Words & Graphics Inc.
KLShaw -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com