Re: At what point can you justify a F/T editor?

Subject: Re: At what point can you justify a F/T editor?
From: Garret Romaine <GRomaine -at- MSMAIL -dot- RADISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 13:24:00 PST

Rick Lippincott wrote:

My rule of thumb: You should have one full time editor for every ten
writers. Most places are a little below this, but I've found that this
ratio works well.

>>When can you incorporate others within a company that can use an editor?
For example, what about sales materials, annual reports, newsletters --
these materials are not written by technical writers but certainly need an
editor's eyes. If you had, say, six writers and one editor, and there was
slack time in the editor's schedule, couldn't you offer editing services to
other functions? Maybe split with MarCom?

I guess my wish is to justify a full-time editor a little sooner. The idea
of having ten writers reporting to me with no editor is a little scary.

Garret Romaine
gromaine -at- radisys -dot- com