Re: Justifying a F/T editor?

Subject: Re: Justifying a F/T editor?
From: Gail Taylor <gtaylor -at- ISLANDNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 16:08:38 -0800

Faith wrote:
>Any ideas re: at what point it makes sense to have a full-time editor?
>Are there any
>standard metrics for the ratio of editors to writers, requirements for
>an editor based on
>pages of documentation, or other measures?

I worked as a technical writer and editor in a publications group with a
manager (who did some writing) and four other writers. As writer, I was
responsible for the installation and release notes. As editor, I worked very
closely with two of the writers, who were quite junior. I edited for the
department, consulted with editors at two other sites to agree on style
issues, and maintained the style guide.

Hope this helps -
Gail Taylor (gtaylor -at- islandnet -dot- com