ANNOUNCEMENT: My book on SGML has been published

Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: My book on SGML has been published
From: Chet Ensign <censign -at- INTERSERV -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:45:45 -0800

Dear Techwrl'rs,

Many members of the list helped me over the past few years, during the writing
of this book. I never lacked for feedback, ideas, anecdotes and or support. So
I wanted to let you all know that it is finally -- finally! -- in print.

The title is "$GML: The Billion Dollar Secret," and it is the third volume in
the "Charles F.Goldfarb Series on Open Information Management" published by
Prentice-Hall. The target audience is managers who have to understand the
problems with publishing technical information and sign off on what systems and
standards their organizations should adopt.

"$GML - The Billion Dollar Secret" is focused on the business problems that
SGML was created to address. Many of you will likely find it interesting --
maybe even useful! -- for the arguments it makes about the pivotal role of
document-based information plays in organizations. If you want to know the
underpinnings of how SGML works, there are better books to turn to. If you want
to know <emp>why</emp> an organization should use it, and what can be achieved
with it -- or if you want someone else to know it -- then I think you will find
this book helpful. Especially for its extensive case studies of of companies
that applied SGML to stubborn problems with dramatic results: companies like
Sikorsky, Mobil and Sybase.

You can find information about the book on Prentice Hall's Web site,
www.prenhall.com. I also found a listing for it at the online bookstore
www.amazon.com. In both cases, the fastest way to locate it be to use their
search feature to look for "SGML."

Also note the change in contact info at the end of this message. After 2 years
of consulting, I've returned to a more corporate (eg, stable) environment.

Thanks again to all of you who encouraged and helped me during this project.

Best regards,

/chet

---
<signature>
Chet Ensign Office: 212-448-2466
Manager of Data Architecture Home: 201-378-3472
Matthew Bender & Company, Inc. Email: censign -at- bender -dot- com
New York, NY
</>