Re: SERVICE MANUAL REVISION

Subject: Re: SERVICE MANUAL REVISION
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 09:34:40 EST

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Jane Bergen <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM> wrote:

> Sure, just insert your date (and time, too, if you want that much
> detail) into your heading or footer as a field code. <snip>

> Now....drum roll.... be advised that very time you print, the field
> code updates and prints the current date, which may or may not be the
> actual revision date. If you want an absolutely accurate revision
> date, you will probably need to devise some kind of scheme to
> manually change the date....in other words, don't insert it as a
> field code. Just insert it as a regular text string.

Here's what I generally do:

1. Insert a field code or the equivalent (in PageMaker, I use datetime.tym)
that says "Rev. M/D/YY."

2. If the current date is inappropriate for a revision date, then *before I
open the file,* I look at the date that the file was last stored. I then go to
DOS and change the date to be this date.

3. Print the file.

4. Go to DOS and change the date back again!

HTH --

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)