Re: SERVICE MANUAL REVISION

Subject: Re: SERVICE MANUAL REVISION
From: "Ridder, Fred" <ridderf -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:49:38 -0500

On the same date, Jane Bergen wrote (in part):

>Now....drum roll.... be advised that very time you print, the field
>code updates and prints the current date, which may or may not be the
>actual revision date. If you want an absolutely accurate revision
>date, you will probably need to devise some kind of scheme to
>manually change the date....in other words, don't insert it as a
>field code. Just insert it as a regular text string.

Well, this isn't quite true in either case. Whether Word updates all
the field codes each time you print is determined by a settable user
option. Look at the Print tab under Tools, Options. You will see
a checkbox under the Printing Options heading that is labeled Update
Fields. If you uncheck this box, none of the fields (except for the
page numbers, I think...) will update automatically.

Another potentially useful approach is to insert the date using the
SAVEDATE field code (which only changes when you save the file)
rather than the plain vanilla DATE field code or the PRINTDATE code
(which is kind of dangerous to use unless you're in the middle of a
particularly active review cycle).

Fred Ridder
ridderf -at- dialogic -dot- com