Re: e-mail etiquette

Subject: Re: e-mail etiquette
From: d r <writeagain -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 17:56:31 EST

Dianne,

Recently I wrote 2 letters in email. One was to the head of a hospital
and the other was to the head of a publishing company. I decided that I
would write as if I was writing snail mail, so I set the email as much as
I could to look like a typed letter.
The head of the hospital didn't sign the email but called me by my first
name in the first line. The head of the publishing company, used his
first name, and also mine. When the responses came, I felt a little silly
having written such a formal message and getting a friendly one back. The
head of the hospital wrote an indepth response, nothing that would ever
have occurred outside of email, I am sure. Still, since I am in a
position to write more such letters, and feel that email is one way to
get to people I wouldn't normally be able to without an Exec Secretary
intervention, but I am not sure whether email means forget formality
either!

D.R.