MS WORD: Show Outline Numbers in Header / Footer???

Subject: MS WORD: Show Outline Numbers in Header / Footer???
From: Tom Hansen <tomh -at- EXECPC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 18:27:07 GMT

Show Outline Numbers in Header / Footer???

I have constructed an outline-oriented document, using Outline View.
Further, I have used the {AUTONUMOUT} field to number all the headings
in Outline format, so that all the "Heading 1" paragraphs are numbered
I, II, III, etc, and the "Heading 2"'s within the "Heading 1"'s are
numbered A, B, C, etc.

It all works great, EXCEPT that I'd like to place a reference to the
current "Heading 1" in the Header of each page.

So, I placed a {STYLEREF "Heading 1"} field in the header, and, sure
enough, the text from the current "Heading 1" appears in the header.
EXCEPT, that the contents of the {AUTONUMOUT} field is NOT THERE!!!

This is very important that it is there, so I know where I am in my
big outline on each page.

I tried the {STYLEREF "Heading 1" \n} but that just evaluates to a "0"
all the time.

Does anyone out there have a clue as to what I can do here??

Thanks!
--
Tom Hansen
tomh -at- execpc -dot- com