Editorial and technical reviews

Subject: Editorial and technical reviews
From: Sue Heim <sue -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:10:23 -0800

OK, gang! Quick question for you. Here's the scenario...

I'm writing online help for a brand new program, one that is
currently being developed simultaneously by our programmers. There
are no "official" design specifications (nor any specs, for that
matter). Some of the program works, some doesn't, and some doesn't
exactly work like it's supposed to. Typical, yes?

OK, the problem. I really need to have the programmers do an initial
review of the online help -- a *technical* review first. I feel it is
way too early to be concentrating on editorial review, especially
since a lot of areas are likely to change, and quite drastically.

My boss wants the programmers to do both an editorial and technical
review. I would like them to not waste the time *right now* on an
editorial review, and just concentrate on the technical stuff (like,
am I in left field or right field, or am I right on base?). I've
stressed to my boss that I would like to *not* burden the programmers
right now, since we are all under deadline.

What to do? Do I try to stand firm, and try to explain myself once
again? Or do I let them do the editorial review now. I'm afraid that
if they do the editorial review now, they'll concentrate less on that
aspect later. BTW, I'm the only writer here. No peers. No editors.
Just me.

Comments?
Thanks!
...sue