Re: Minimalism

Subject: Re: Minimalism
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 08:44:36 -0600

> Doors for instance. Why should any door ever need a "push" or
> "pull" sign. Shouldn't it be obvious?

Well, no. Some doors open when you pull them, others when you push. It
all depends on the arrangement of the hinges, which isn't at all
obvious.

> One last not-so-glamorous example: How many documents have you
> read about how to use a toilet?

I don't know about you, but I learned how to use a toilet before I had
learned to read. A document about it wouldn't have done me any good.

This thread seems to have careened off on some tangent I don't quite
understand. What exactly are we discussing here? Things we think are so
obvious they don't need explaining? Things we learned so long ago we now
think they're "intuitive"? Mailboxes?

Yours in confusion,
Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019